Houston Estate Planning
At Adair Myers Stevenson Yagi, we believe everyone should have the opportunity to map out his or her wishes for the future. While no one likes to think of the inevitable, estate planning can save your loved ones from some of the stress of administering your estate and, in many cases, help avoid or reduce a big tax bill. We can work with you to create an estate plan that addresses all your needs. Through our long history representing small to medium sized businesses, we are especially knowledgeable of the estate tax planning requirements for business owners and principals. We have the expertise to avoid a devastating forced sale of a family business to pay estate taxes.
When estate planning, there are many considerations to take into account, including:
- Medical power of attorney – In the event you become incapacitated, you may grant another individual the legal authority to make medical decisions on your behalf. This is especially important if yo udon’t want your family making those decisions for you.
- Physician directives – Your wishes regarding life-sustaining medical treatment such as life support can be detailed out in your estate planning documents. You get to choose rather than someone else choosing for you.
- HIPAA release forms – Make sure the person(s) you designate to have your medical power of attorney will be permitted the necessary access to your medical records.
- Guardian designations – For children or adults with special needs, you can specify who will take guardianship in the event of your death. For those with special needs, preplanning of special needs trusts is critical.
- Special purpose trusts – Such as Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts, and Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts.
Adair Myers Stevenson Yagi: Houston Estate Planning Attorneys
If you are going through the estate planning or probate process, you don’t have to undertake the burden of doing it alone. Gain peace of mind knowing the trusted attorneys at Adair Myers Stevenson Yagi are by your side. Call us today at 713-522-2270 to discuss how we can help.