- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 1999
- Judge Mary Bacon Scholarship, 1999
- Certified Mediator, 1998
- University of Massachusetts at Lowell, B.A. (magna cum laude), 1996
マサチューセッツ州立大学ローウェル校、学士（magna cum laude)、1996年卒業
- Member, Alpha Kappa Delta Honor Society
メンバー、Alpha Kappa Deltaオーナーソサエティ
- Student-Athlete Award, 1996
- State Bar of Texas, 1999
- State Bar of New York, 2007
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2006
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, 2001
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, 2012
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2014
Professional Affiliations (所属)
- Secretary General, Japanese Association of Greater Houston, 2015~Present
- Vice President—Legal, Japanese Association of Greater Houston, 2012~Present
- Associate Member, Japan Business Association of Houston
Kenichi Yagi is one of a few, if not the only, native Japanese-speaking attorneys in Texas with successful experience as both a corporate transactional lawyer and a litigator. His clients have come to know him for his dependability and his efficient handling of cases. Mr. Yagi also assists clients with in a wide variety of practice areas, which makes him a valuable member of the Adair Myers Stevenson Yagi legal team.
Born and raised in Japan, Mr. Yagi moved to the United States when he was seventeen. He graduated from high school in the United States and then attended the University of Massachusetts, where he earned his Bachelor’s degree Magna Cum Laude. Mr. Yagi then earned his law degree from The University of Houston Law Center and became a certified mediator.
Mr. Yagi worked for twenty years at a boutique litigation firm in Houston before joining Adair Myers Graves Stevenson as a partner in 2018, and forming Adair Myers Stevenson Yagi in 2021. After ten years of litigation practice, he started focusing on serving the legal needs of the Japanese community. In addition to litigation, Mr. Yagi is experienced in a broad range of corporate and individual legal issues, including drafting complex commercial contracts, real estate, intellectual property, and consulting on family law matters. When appropriate, Mr. Yagi has a network of specialists who can best assist in serving the client’s needs. Mr. Yagi’s diverse experience coupled with 20 years of contacts in the legal profession enables him to cost-effectively handle virtually any legal issue.
In addition to being licensed to practice in the state of Texas, Mr. Yagi is also licensed to practice in the state of New York, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas and the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Yagi is proud to serve as Secretary General and Specially-Appointed Vice President of Legal Affairs of the Japanese Association of Greater Houston and is also an associate member of the Japan Business Association of Houston. He enjoys assisting the Houston Japanese community with all of their legal matters and is happy to meet with new clients to discuss their legal issues and possible solutions.
Mr. Yagi has extensive experience in commercial litigation matters. He successfully represented a chemical manufacturer in a breach of contract dispute involving a sale of biodiesel by obtaining a summary judgment. He has also represented a national insurer in numerous first-party homeowners claims involving mold damage and hurricane wind damage in both state and federal courts. Mr. Yagi aided a specialty chemical manufacturer in obtaining a multi-million dollar international arbitration award for his client. Mr. Yagi has also assisted commercial property owners in disputes involving the appraised values of real property. In these matters, Mr. Yagi achieved significant reductions in tax liabilities.
Practice Areas （業務内容）
Corporate and Transactional. Advising domestic and international clients (mainly restaurants, manufacturers, product distributors, and other service businesses) on various corporate, transactional, and employment matters, including:
企業法務： 以下を含む米国内、国外のクライアント（主にレストラン、メーカー、製品販社, サービス業） への企業法務及び雇用案件業務
- Employment law, including consultation on wage and hours/compensation review, exempt v. non-exempt analysis, employee handbook, termination, employment benefits, confidentiality/non-compete/non-solicitation, and federal and state employment statutes and preparation and review of related documents
- Negotiating, reviewing, and drafting commercial documents, including sales and purchase agreements, distributorship agreements, asset purchase agreement, clinical trial agreement under Investigative Device Exemption, product manuals and warnings, guaranty agreements, license agreements, confidentiality agreements, consulting agreements, and commercial lease agreements;
- Entity formation and registration and corporate governance, including drafting operating agreements and resolutions, corporate governance and compliance, and related consultation (many for Japanese companies);
- Trademark registration, maintenance, and assignment;
- Insurance coverage and indemnity obligation analysis;
- Anti-trust and anti-dumping concerns.
- Consulting on family and estate planning matters.
Civil Litigation. Managing and assisting in a wide range of civil litigation matters in state and federal trial and appellate courts, as well as in mediation and arbitration, including:
- Contract and business disputes with significant experience in disputes relating to Uniform Commercial Code;
- Employment disputes, including discrimination, wrongful termination, and unemployment;
- Intellectual Property Dispute (trademarks, copyrights, and unfair competition);
- Promissory notes, security agreements, letters of credit and other lending issues;
- Products liability and warranties;
- Commercial, automobile, and homeowners insurance coverage;
- Personal injury and wrongful death claims;
- Landlord-tenant disputes;
- Property tax protests;
- Investor complaints;
- Premises liability;
- Securities litigation and arbitration;
- Medical malpractice;
- Bankruptcy-related matters; and
- Debt negotiations and collections.
Miscellaneous. Advising non-profit organizations and individuals in the Japanese community in the Houston area and beyond, often on a pro bono basis.
- Japanese (native)
- English (fluent)